ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian is a PreK-8th grade school located in Washington DC's vibrant U Street Corridor. Our mission is to inspire a passion for learning in our students and to help them build their self-confidence and self-respect through academic achievement.
Our 650+ students are a diverse mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, African, and White students. Almost 30% of our students are English language learners, and we have one of the largest Hispanic populations in DC charter schools. We are committed to building a community of teachers and staff who reflect the rich diversity of our student body. Our middle school campus serves nearly 200 students in the Columbia Heights neighborhood in grades 6-8.
Meridian is committed to serving families from our local communities; and one-third of our students live within a half mile of the school. The U Street Corridor was once the heart of black culture in DC and offers a tangible historical archive for our students, and Columbia Heights is one of the most racially and economically diverse neighborhoods in the District. We are also proud of the fact that Meridian is a school of choice for parents- all eight wards of the city are represented among our student population.
Meridian's strengths include two beautiful and historic campuses, with nearby outdoor and recreational grounds; state of the art technology for students and teachers; updated and aligned curricula; an academic program laser-focused on student growth, achievement, and social-emotional development; extensive professional development and support for teachers and leaders; and a school culture grounded in student achievement, collaboration, and student-centered learning.
Join us as we continue to take Meridian from good to great! For additional information about Meridian visit mpcs-dc.org .
ABOUT THE POSITION
An Assistant Principal is a member of the school leadership team who collaborates with fellow leaders to design and manage the academic program for 6th-8th graders. The ideal candidate will bring demonstrated experience mentoring adults, designing curriculum, and increasing student achievement, as well as an interest in personal growth and development.
Under the guidance of the Middle School Principal, the Assistant Principal will perform specific responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
- Implement the vision for the school's academic program for assigned grade levels;
- Observe classroom instruction, provide substantive feedback based on content, and provide direct support to teachers through informal and formal observations;
- Develop and implement professional development aligned to the school's academic vision and student achievement outcomes;
- Facilitate Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) aligned to student achievement outcomes;
- Collaborate with key staff to administer interim assessments and required state assessments;
- Drive revision of instructional plans in response to assessment data;
- Collect, analyze and review student achievement data in coordination with other school and student level data;
- Facilitate the examination of data for the purpose of teacher reflection, improved practice, and programmatic changes leading to improve student outcomes;
- Implement academic interventions including curricular and program adjustments for students.
Talent and Culture
- Collaborate with the other school leaders to develop, monitor and maintain high academic and behavioral expectations for all students and teachers;
- Coach, supervise, and evaluate staff through informal classroom visits, regular formal and informal classroom observations, lesson plan review, and written evaluations for instructional staff;
- Support a cohort of new teachers with instructional delivery and classroom management;
- Participate in the recruitment and hiring of academic staff (teachers, instructional assistants, coaches, etc.).
- Communicate the message of standards-driven teaching and learning to parents/guardians, staff, and students; and
- Complete other duties as outlined by the school leadership.
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Experience with one or more of the following is preferred:
- Leading professional development for teachers;
- Working with teachers to increase rigor in lesson plans and course curriculum;
- Mentoring and coaching adults to excellence;
- Conducting formal evaluations of teachers;
- Comfort synthesizing and prioritizing data to solve problems and develop strategies to achieve ambitious academic goals;
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytic skills;
- Familiarity with Common Core State Standards and state assessment systems (SBAC);
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- A demonstrated passion for advancing educational opportunities in low-income communities;
- At least four years of classroom teaching experience;
- An advanced degree in K-12 school administration, curriculum & instruction, or a related field with strong academic preparation preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
A recent TNTP Insight Survey of our teachers placed our staff's satisfaction with compensation in the top quartile of all charter schools in DC. We also lead the charter sector in compensation transparency, and publish our salary scales for teachers, apprentice teachers, and dedicated aides here .
Meridian teachers and staff are compensated competitively for their time and have opportunities to earn additional income through leadership opportunities at the school level, offering extracurricular clubs and sports for students, and facilitating tutoring programs.
HOW TO APPLY
Do you embody a love of learning? Do you believe in the importance of educating the whole child? Do you want to join a collaborative team driving Meridian's continued growth from good to great?
Apply to the Assistant Principal, Middle School position!
In accordance with Mayor's Order 2021-109 , Meridian Public Charter School requires all staff to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or obtain an approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Meridian Public Charter School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School's EEO policy prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Meridian PCS prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with a disability. Under this policy, equal employment opportunity is required in recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as required by applicable law.