Financial CounselorREPORTS TO (TITLE):
Business Office Manager DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
The Financial Counselor is responsible for admission of patients including patient interviews, admitting forms, room assignments and some cashiering. Duties include facilitating information to respond to inquiries pertaining to admissions and billing questions. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
RequirementsKnowledge and Experience:
- Patient Admissions: Arranges patient admission to facility. Receives and interviews incoming patients or relatives to obtain pertinent data and verify insurance coverage. Types and processes necessary admission paperwork. Ensures timely communication of patient admission to other departments.
- Financial Counseling: Provides financial options to patients and authorized family members prior to admission. Assists in resolution of routine admitting inquiries. May also interface with medical staff for information required for patient admissions.
- Maintain patient valuables: Collect monies and accept patient valuables for safekeeping for patients during his or her stay at the hospital.
- Set up and record payments for patient services: Set up payment arrangement with self-pay patients. Collects co-payments when applicable.
Skills and Abilities:
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Current NCI equivalent as approved by the Chief Nursing Officer (or obtained within the first 30 days of hire).
- Two years' health care experience preferred.
- Knowledge of CPT/ICD-10 coding helpful.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology and insurance billing.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients at all times.
- Sensitivity to and willingness to interact with persons of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds.
- Proficiency with software and/or equipment (Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.)
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize projects, work relatively independently, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, expanding organization.
While performing the duties of this job, this position is frequently required to do the following:
- Use standard office equipment and access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Use computer keyboard with manual and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions efficiently for extended periods of time.
- Communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking, including a diverse population.
- Give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Perform complex mental functions and basic arithmetic functions; interpret complex laws, regulations, and policies; collect, interpret, and/or analyze complex data and information.
- Vision: see details of objects at close range.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Reach forward, up, down, and to the side.
- Sit or stand for minimum periods of one hour at a time and come and go from the work area repeatedly throughout the day.
- Lift up to fifteen (15) pounds.
- 3.5 Weeks Paid Time Off
- $25,000 Life insurance policy is provided at no charge to the employee