SESI Consulting Engineers has been selected as one of NJBIZ's "FASTEST GROWING" Companies and Inc.'s "5000 America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies".
Join a company recognized for providing solutions, excellence, service, and integrity. We seek dynamic individuals to support organic growth.
SESI Consulting Engineers, founded in 1976, is a well-established, progressive, consulting engineering firm in Parsippany, N.J. SESI has earned an excellent reputation for providing innovative Geotechnical, Site/Civil, and Environmental engineering solutions for owners, developers, and the construction industry throughout the NJ, NY, CT region
SESI offers a competitive compensation and benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k), paid time off, tuition reimbursement, professional development assistance, bonus potential, employee engagement activities, just to name a few.
Coordinates the planning, organization, control, integration, and completion of engineering projects within area of assigned responsibility by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors. This staff position is considered a training position for those with degrees in a related field but with limited to no field experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conducts site inspection to monitor progress/conformance to specs and procedures
- May be expected to design portions of a project
- Makes calculations, using engineering formulas and skills
- Instructs drafters how to reduce designs into completed drawings
- Conducts routine geotechnical engineering laboratory checks
- Leads concrete and rebar inspection testing
- Performs research and writes reports
- Prepares samples of unapproved materials for laboratory testing
- Uses computer to run standard programs to solve engineering problems
- Performs routine laboratory tests to determine various design parameters
- Plans and implements engineering programs, including defining the project philosophy, activities, milestones, and staff requirements, per customer requirements
- Develops and maintains a schedule and budget for the assigned engineering project
- Provides reports on the status of project milestones and adjusts schedules accordingly
- Controls expenditures within limitations of project budget
- Identifies project staffing requirements and coordinates staffing with supporting organization managers
- Coordinates preparation and delivery of project deliverables, design documents, and bid packages
- Reviews product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test problems
- Prepares interim and completion project reports
- Provides status and progress reports to customer, project team, and management
- Classifies soils according to standard types
- Applies geological knowledge to engineering problems encountered in construction projects, such as dams, tunnels, and large buildings
- Prepares geologic reports and maps, interprets research data, and recommends further study or action
- Conducts or participates in environmental studies and prepares environmental reports
- Directs drilling of exploratory borings and wells
- Oversees installation of monitoring wells in accordance with state and federal requirements
- Collects or supervises collection of soil and groundwater samples for analysis of chemical composition
- Determines direction of groundwater flow based on review of historical records and site specific data
- Determines the nature and extent of contamination in soil and groundwater at environmental sites
- Participates in decision making regarding research priorities and provides information on feasibility of prospective projects
- May lead junior level staff and interns by providing guidance, answering questions and being a resource to them
- May direct tasks, other junior level staff and interns as needed
- Identifies the potential for new projects and seeks opportunities to promote the company's services on an ongoing basis
- Travels 25% (Site) to 100% (Geotechnical/Environmental) of the time which may be out of state
This job has some supervisory responsibilities.
Ability to review and understand plans, specs, and reports including site, grading, utility, foundation, details, structural, drawings, architectural, grading, federal, state and local regulations.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 0 to 3 years of Site Civil, Geotechnical or Environmental engineering experience. Previous Internship or construction experience is preferred.
- Experience with inspection of compacted fills, footings, ground improvement, deep foundations, retaining walls, utilities, asphalt, concrete, sitework elements.
- 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER certification
- Engineer in Training (EIT) preferred or have the ability to become registered within six months.
- ACI/NICET/NJ DCA Special Inspector and Nuclear Densometer certification a plus
- Valid Driver's License and possess reliable transportation to access job sites
- Proficient or familiarity with AutoCAD, Autodesk Civil 3D, NitroPro, GSLOPE, KeyWall, MS Word, Excel, Adobe.
- Position requires ability to use tools such a lump hammer, shovel, hand auger, Nuclear Density Gauge.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50+ pounds. The employee is frequently required to use hands or fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Approximately 25% to 100% of the work is conducted outdoors. Worker must be able to walk frequently on uneven hard and soft ground/terrain in all types of weather conditions to include cold, hot rain, snow, ice, etc. Employees working in the field may also be exposed to sun, wind, insects, plants, animals, etc. As a result, appropriate clothing for outdoor work, work boots, safety glasses, hard hat, safety vest is required while working in the field.